You want in? You got in! Sign up to track the Afia action...

You want in? You got in! Sign up to track the Afia action...
* indicates required

Saturday 26 March 2011

The Tofu & Potatoes

I hope these posts have given you a glowing image of a country that grounds me, while at the same time inspired me to abandon consistent paychecks and health insurance in pursuit of grand schemes of collaborative creation that will enhance the lives of all involved (!) – mine included, admittedly.  I’ve tried to stick to easy reading, but now I’d like to get down to the Tofu & Potatoes of this whole deal that has become Afia.   

I’m not alone in my frustration with the perceptions of the African continent as one homogenous mass, consumed with disease, poverty, and ethnic battles. The fear resulting from these perceptions discourages business investment and balanced partnerships, hindering the continent’s potential and inclusion in the global marketplace. 

Why, as a demographically Midwestern suburban obruni (white person), do I care?  I chose Ghana to source my fabric because the vibrancy and spirit of West African textiles makes me feel like Charlie laying eyes on Willie Wonka’s Chocolate Room.  I am a fool for visual gratification.  I chose an African country to produce the line because, in addition to the technical skill and ambition present, Afia values the craft behind the production - as opposed to the fast fashion manufacturing model that has become commonplace. Every single step of this process involved personal human interaction.  Sourced and Handmade in Ghana, people!





Also, how many places have you been where people greet you with “You are welcome.” ?!?! Ghana is ranked the 11th friendliest country in the world according to yet another Forbes list.

Consistent with the Trade vs Aid philosophy, Afia is not a charity, it’s a business. The workmanship and professionalism of our textile vendors, pattern makers, and seamstresses is on par with standards anywhere in the world.  The Afia product reflects this.


Clothing design is the most natural way for me to connect Ghana with the American market.  At the risk of ruining a career I am only just beginning, I wouldn’t define the Afia aesthetic as fashionable.  There are aspects of the fashion industry that I can’t relate to: the overwhelming pace of keeping up with seasonal trends, an emphasis on status- enhancing material objects, a hegemonic determination of what beauty is.  I like to think that Afia is about style: an attitude, a mentality, a lifestyle that you express through the way you adorn and carry yourself.  Enjoy your life, enjoy your body.

A Ghanaian priestess told me five years ago that as a career I would be working with women to make them feel more beautiful. I hope to do just that.

On that note, here’s another preview of The Goods: the Afia belly tee.  Also in light blue and aztec red.


I’ve been trying on the Afia clothes for the ladies of the co-op, who have responded with ooh’s and aah’s.  The romper, however, got a full out standing ovation! The romper comes in my favorite fabric of the collection: Easter pastels. 


Wooo warm fuzzies!








1 comment:

  1. What you are doing is so inspiring and uplifting. I've really been enjoying reading your blog! This adventure you are on is so fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete